16 February 2007

McCain and Lieberman on "Global Warming"

Below is an email I sent to Senators McCain and Lieberman in response to a piece they co-authored, appearing here and elsewhere. While I have respect for both of these men, their new stance on "global warming" is, to say the least, disappointing.

Sir,

Your recent article, authored with Sen. (McCain/Lieberman), was a disappointment. Without venom, I can say that I felt like I was reading a pitch from Al Gore. This is especially the case at the beginning of the piece, where you said, "There is now a broad consensus in this country, and indeed in the world, that global warming is happening, that it is a serious problem, and that humans are causing it." This is also the case at the end of the piece, where you said, "The debate has ended over whether global warming is a problem caused by human activity."

Respectfully, the debate is not over; rather, the debate is being hijacked by politicos for political gain. I'm disappointed that you and Sen. (McCain/Lieberman) have apparently joined their ranks. Appropriately, my support for you and for Sen. (McCain/Lieberman) has decreased.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'd be interested to see if he responds to your letter.