16 February 2007

Words Matter

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If a blogger writes something and no one is around to read it, do the thoughts matter?

Though this and many other blogs go unread, what authors write is important on various levels. It's an expression of free speech; it's a dissemination of a point of view; it's an unfolding of thought purposefully put out for public viewing.

With those things in mind, the author of any blog must be personally responsible for whatever they write. Free speech does not include freedom from critique (or worse).

So, even if no one reads this little blog I hammer the keys for every week or so, I am still responsible for what I put on it...I must stand by what I write. If I don't, then I shouldn't be writing in public in the first place.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sometimes the benefit is more personal - a way of working out thoughts and ideas on paper, or in this case, on a blog. Even if nobody comments (because people still might be reading)it still is a good exercise in thinking and writing. I like your writing and obviously others do too if you've already had articles published.