04 August 2007

Last Post from Australia

One more time to wake up in Australia. Tomorrow I’ll be on a Qantas 747 bound for the US. I took my last long beachside walk yesterday, circling from Newcastle Beach out to Bar Beach and back again, then to Nobby’s and the breakwater. This morning, as it was colder and much more windy than yesterday, I decided to have my last breakfast at Atlas. And now, at about 1400, I’ve just had my last meal in Newcastle – PB-n-J and a couple of apples. (As my wife reads this at some time, somewhere in the future, she cringes.)

Of course, none of this really matters to anyone who might be reading this. But for me, it’s a break in the regularity of what life has been over the past 19 months. I may never get the chance to come to this side of the earth again. It has been interesting, but I’m thankful that it has come to an end. Australia has been great, but I’m looking forward to returning to the US. I’ll have to learn how to make a flat white for myself and I’ll really miss being right on the ocean. But in the end, this just isn’t home.

I’ll be off for about a week, then, as de-jetlag and get re-acclimated. I’ll be back in about a week. Hopefully nothing eventful happens. Sometimes, many times, it’s far better when things are “boring.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are on your way back by now, as it is the 6th of August, but I wanted to say welcome home in a general sense. :) and you know, there are plenty of places to live in the US where you could be right on the beach, or darn close to it, anyway. I spent my birthday tide-pooling and beach walking this year and it was lovely. LIving this close to the ocean is wonderful. Anyway, welcome home, and I hope you'll keep blogging.
--krissi