27 October 2007

Random Dylan Thought

Lately, I’ve been listening to a fair bit of Dylan while at work; it is pretty school-friendly music. A few songs aside (Rainy Day Women #12 & 35), few folks could object to the lyrics.

I’ve had the lyrics for “Slow Train” going through my head for most of the day. The album by nearly the same name (Slow Train Coming) came out in 1979, but the lyrics for "Slow Train" seem to be timeless. Dylan croons about oil, ambition, deceitfulness and delusions, and it all feels so current, even nearly 30 years later.

Perhaps that’s a reason to feel some comfort. Perhaps the world really doesn’t change, fundamentally, as much as we’re led to believe. The same fallacies are out there, with different masks and different proper names – but there nonetheless. And the same hope is out there. Strong fundamentals, I think, can unmask and overcome the changing face of falseness. (And I’m not talking about fundamentalism…far from it.)

No comments: