18 October 2007

Right, Wrong and Mr. Edwards

Call me old fashioned, but I believe that fathers – or to be more inclusive, parents – should teach their children the difference between right and wrong. They should also reinforce it consistently with reasoned discussion when able and with strict enforcement whenever it is deemed necessary. This, I believe, is how children learn the difference between right and wrong.

Not so for John Edwards. In response to a question whether or not he would be comfortable with a teacher reading a story “celebrating same-sex marriage” to second graders, Mr. Edwards responded:
"Yes, absolutely. I want my children . . . to be exposed to all the information . . . even in second grade . . . because I don't want to impose my view. Nobody made me God. I don't get to decide on behalf of my family or my children. . . . I don't get to impose on them what it is that I believe is right."
And this man wants to be president? If he honestly believes that he cannot impose his own view of right and wrong in his own house, why should the American electorate allow him to wind-sock in the White House? By an extension of Mr. Edwards’s own logic, citizens would be able to choose on their own, without regard to law or custom, what is right and wrong under his administration.

Obviously, Mr. Edwards is not a leader in any way, shape or form. His conscious admission that he cannot decide what is right or wrong in his own house negates any claim he may have had that he could be president of this great country.

No comments: