23 December 2007

Cheap Oil: Just Add Hillary

Reported in the New York Daily News this afternoon:

When the world hears her commitment at her inauguration about ending American dependence on foreign fuel, Clinton says, oil-pumping countries will lower prices to stifle America's incentive to develop alternative energy.

"I predict to you, the oil-producing countries will drop the price of oil," Clinton said, speaking at the Manchester YWCA. "They will once again assume, once the cost pressure is off, Americans and our political process will recede."
I would have never guessed that making a speech about being serious about not being energy dependant would possibly have such an effect! Given this new, revolutionary phenomenon, perhaps President Bush will try this on Christmas Eve. What a Christmas present that would be: energy independence and low oil prices – all at the cost of words alone. With this revelation, perhaps I should now reconsider points of view regarding negotiating with terrorists and their supporting countries – since words alone are the cure. Or serious words, I should say. Or words uttered by Senator Clinton.

I was thinking last night, after re-reading my previous post on Senator Clinton’s Foreign Affairs essay that perhaps I had piled on a bit much regarding her “words without plans” tendency. Then this gem pops up, solidifying my previous thought that this woman will say anything, no matter how outlandish, to play to the masses and gain the election. I believe, however, that the American people are not so dim as to really believe her claims about oil or other matters.

No comments: