21 February 2008

More Words That Matter

Michelle Obama claims that she is now “for the first time in [her] adult lifetime, [she is] really proud of my country.” She’s 44 years old. A lot has happened in her adult lifetime. I’m only in my mid-thirties and there’s plenty I’m proud of. But we’re told that her words don’t really matter, that she’s only the wife of the Democrat’s possible nominee, that what she really meant was (insert glib sound-bite here). I think I’ll take her at her word; she really is only proud of America as it may, in November, now become her country.

Sharon Stone does an interview with Al Hyat and proclaims “I feel sad when I realize how much truth is being changed or obscured in the American media.” I feel sad, too. It’s amazing what gets air time and print space in the media. I feel sad, too, that “truth is being changed” and “obscured”. But somehow I don’t think that Mrs. Stone and I are talking from the same point of view. Hers, I think, would advocate the “America is bad, bad, bad” perspective.

Now, this last bit is an approximation – I’m still trying to get a good link on this, but I watched it on local news last night. (The whole speech can be seen here - free subscription required.) Senator Obama, speaking is Dallas yesterday, said that we need to stop putting our young men in jail and start putting them to work. Funny, but I thought that people essentially put themselves in jail by making one or a series of bad choices. Am I to believe that the senator wants to empty the jails? I know that’s hyperbole, but just what inmates would the senator have on the streets? Does he believe that thieves should be put to work because if they had jobs, they wouldn’t steal? Or addicts should be given jobs so that they wouldn’t steal to support their habit? Or did he really mean putting them to work while they’re in jail? Perhaps I’ve taken the bait of trying to gain some sort of substantive position out of an Obama speech.

I think words do matter (and I know that others have said that sort of thing before…so I’m not plagiarizing here). But I tend to agree with Karl Rove, who opined today in the Wall Street Journal, that Senator Obama’s “words are merely a means to hide a left-leaning agenda behind the cloak of centrist rhetoric.” Indeed.

No comments: