18 March 2008

A Glimpse into the Obama Future

I won’t rehash all of the notes that I took on the print version of Senator Obama’s “race” speech today. I wouldn't even put my wife through that! There are, however, some points at the end of his speech which clearly show where he would lead the US. It's a useful exercise, I think, to concentrate on them.

Sen. Obama’s first point concerns, of course, health care. He laments that “Emergency Room[s] are filled with whites and blacks and Hispanics who do not have health care”. The obvious conclusion is that we, as Americans, ought to provide health care for everyone.

His second point, which is tied syntactically to the first, is that home ownership is in jeopardy for all. Home ownership, in turn, is directly tied to corporations moving jobs “overseas for nothing more than a profit”. The obvious conclusion here is that we, as Americans, ought to provide jobs for all able-bodied persons (US citizens and “others”) so that we all may take part in the dream of home ownership. It is a moral imperative.

His fourth, and my favorite, point is that we need to bring all military members “home from a war that never should’ve been authorized and never should’ve been waged”. That statement is predictable Demo-fodder. But the good part comes in Sen. Obama’s call to “show our patriotism by caring for [service members], and their families, and giving them the benefits they have earned.” So, make room for me at the recruiting center! I’m getting myself back in uniform. I can be assured, obviously, that Sen. Obama as president will look out for my benefits and my family and I’ll not have to sacrifice one bit. I’ll not have to do my job as a member of the armed forces. I’ll just earn benefits!

And that, I think, is the vision of the Obama candidacy. He seeks to placate the masses with his messianic message of a post-racial, risk-free, sacrifice-free American society. All will have health care; all will have a secure job and home, and even the military will be coddled. And it will all come courtesy of the Obama government. It’s post-racial? It’s post-rational!

Sen. Obama begins his “race” speech with these words from the Declaration of Independence: “We the people, in order to form a more perfect union” (my emphasis). He ends his speech with a story about an old, black man and a young, white girl coming together, and says that this “is where the perfection begins.” The Declaration of Independence did not and does not peddle utopia to the masses. Its opening statement displays full understanding that men, and by extension government, is imperfect. Therefore, perfection can only be approached, not achieved. For Sen. Obama, perfection can be achieved through unity of purpose (his unity and his purposes, as Dennis Prager so often points out) and through his government and his leadership. If these ideas sound more than a little totalitarian, well, I’d have to agree strongly.

No comments: