02 April 2008

Punishing Gaffe

I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor today when I stumbled across (on the American Thinker website, corroborated elsewhere) a comment made over the weekend by Senator Obama. He reportedly said:

"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."
There are comments all around about the anti-life attitude of this comment. There are folks saying that Sen. Obama really is an advocate of on-demand abortions. I have a different take.

Sen. Obama would not want his daughters to be “punished” because, as we have seen from the senator already, all things are forgivable in the temporal world. A child would be a “punishment” because a child would be a lasting effect of a poor decision on the part of the parties involved – in the hypothetical case of Sen. Obama, one of his teenage daughters and some guy. No need for all of that if the “problem” can be solved, so to speak, more antiseptically.

I’m not one to claim omniscience, especially when it comes to a morally and ethically challenging topic like abortion. But I do believe that it can be said without doubt that a man who hopes to be the next president of the United States ought not view a child, planned or not, as a punishment. That equation is loaded with meaning. In the coming days, if this comment by the senator makes the news, there will be attempts to equivocate its meaning and the belief that underlies it. Please remember that words have meaning.

No comments: