26 June 2008

Bizarre News Media Capitalism

One never knows what one will find on the web. While looking for news results for today’s Supreme Court ruling on the 2nd Amendment (which went the way it should have, in my humble opinion), I noticed a strange icon next to some stories on the CNN website. The icon looked like a t-shirt. Needless to say, I clicked. What I found was a shameless attempt to capitalize on headlines by CNN. I’m not sure how long the link will be active, so I took a screen shot (cropped down).

As of the moment, there are three "headlines" CNN finds suitable for t-shirt release. Along with the one pictured here, there's also "Gas scammers refill rentals with water" and "Women spin atop escalator handrails". Fine fodder for shirts, indeed. Somehow, I don't think I'll be buying one, nor do I think that this will make me want to read, or view, CNN any more than I previously did.

It's not that I don't support capitalism. Far from it. I'm an ardent believer that most of the time, the market brings the cream to the top and lets the dregs settle at the bottom. This t-shirt gimmick belongs down with the dregs.

[As a side note, this is my 300th post to this blog. Thanks to all that have read a post or two here over the past year and a half. Cheers! - Bob]

1 comment:

chan said...

Congrats on your 300th post. To bad more people don't read your insightful and well written posts.

Those T-shirts look pretty dumb, especially coming from a news agency. Though I do love to wear my Dennis Miller Radio "Don't Taze Me Bro" shirt out. Get some interesting looks.