01 November 2008

My Get Rich (Relatively) Quick Scheme

Like many Americans, I occasionally have Homer Simpson-like thoughts of getting rich very quickly. All of them die as mere thoughts; I’m a bit too risk averse to dive into the deep end alone. That’s why I’m glad that the deep end is coming to me.

During this presidential campaign, Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that those of us making less than $250,000 would get a tax break, or wouldn’t see our taxes increased, or something akin to those. It would be “fair” for those making more than that to pay more; it would, as Sen. Biden said, “patriotic” for folks making more than $250,000 a year to pay more.

Regardless of who I’m voting for on Tuesday and who might win, I was fairly secure that I personally would not be considered “rich”, as our combined income is well below what Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden consider rich. We are middle class. Or at least that’s what I think.

There’s a decent chance that my wife and I will be considered “rich” under an Obama administration. In recent days, the bar which theoretically separates the rich from the middle class has been lowered considerably by Democrats – more than 50%. So whereas one might consider two beginning teachers’ salaries distinctly “un-rich”, it may not be long at all for us to be “rich”. Indeed, politicians may well make it happen much more quickly than I could ever do so by myself.

Perhaps I owe them thanks, then. The government may achieve for me what I have not achieved for myself. The funny thing is that I don’t really want to be rich; I have no great ambition to become wealthy at the expense of other things in life. That, too, is a good thing if Sen. Obama gains the White House. I can be fairly certain that I won’t get wealthy, but my wife and I may well be considered “rich”. Now that’s one rich paradox, isn’t it?

No comments: