20 March 2010

My Saturday 2¢ on the Health Care Takeover

As I sit and watch the House Rules Committee, I wonder how it is that lawmakers have the time and energy to create a 2200 page piece of legislation. I’m convinced that they, in fact, do no craft the legislation which they vote on. The 2200 pages would probably resemble a poorly made jigsaw puzzle dumped on a table whose corner pieces have to be accepted as a matter of trust based on the word of the majority legislators who have never – and perhaps will never – see the puzzle fully put together. No one knows, really knows, the short, medium, and long-term implications of this government monstrosity, be it takeover or over-regulation or stepping stone to single-payer. Like Victor Frankenstein’s monster, once it wakes up and makes its way in the world, these 2200 pages will have long legs.

Briefly on the language used. Folks with pre-existing conditions are now “allowed” to have health insurance? Some of the language used in the committee, especially when speakers wax personal, gets far less than precise. Thankfully, there isn’t a great amount of personal anecdote.

Yet, the sob story must at some point happen, I suppose. There is a Mr. Cardoza on at the moment go on and on about his personal stories on health care. He is, by his own statement, a Democrat. While his stories may be accurate or heart-wrenching, if I hear the phrase “health care for all Americans” or “now is the time to get this done”, I think I’ll throw something. Perhaps up. Like global warming / climate change (GWCC), the debate has been deemed over by the very same people who drone on about individual stories and circumstances.

Funny how those who drone on about individual stories and circumstances tend to be the same ones who want to have a universal solution to health insurance “reform”. It’s the same for education “reform” and cap-and-tax. One size must fit all – all of those unique, individual experiences and circumstances. That is the truth of government control of health care, or education, or industry. You pick.

Four hawks just drifted by my window in a counterclockwise loop, and from my left. Good thing that I’m not an ancient Greek; I think that might make for an ominous omen. The committee time ends with a personal story of insurance coverage denial. While these stories may be touching, governing through emotion is a prescription for tragedy.

I got in late and only watched the last two hours. Thanks to Fox News for streaming the feed online. Good to see Rep. Ryan and Rep. Sessions making their cases – neither of which, as I recall, revolved around emotive responses. I only wish that Rep. Hensarling would have been in the committee room as well. Tomorrow is another day, and perhaps the first day of the fight to repeal the mess which our Congress and our president are foisting upon the electorate.

No comments: